Written by: Scott Julian of XK Glow
When your headlights aren’t aimed properly, you know it! It’s tough to see when driving at night or you are consistently getting flashed by oncoming traffic because you are inadvertently blinding other drivers. Many factors come into play with your headlight alignment such as an accident, wear on suspension components over time, or you just installed new XK GLOW LED bulbs. Whatever the case may be, checking and adjusting your headlight alignment will be beneficial to both you and everyone else out there on the road.
Let’s get started!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
|Phillips head screwdriver or Torx wrench||Masking tape|
|Tape Measure||Level ground|
|Wall with 25ft of clearance|
- Check your owner’s manual to find the location of the vertical and horizontal headlight adjustment screws. These screws are typically long and feed into gears that control the headlight adjustment. They are usually marked L > R for horizontal adjustment and U > D for vertical adjustment.
- Find a level surface in front of a garage door or wall with a minimum of 25ft of space. We will use the 25ft mark as a reference so you will need enough space for your vehicle to fit behind that line. Using the tape measure, measure 25ft back from the wall and mark that line using masking tape.
- Park the vehicle against the wall and turn on the low beam headlights. Mark the center of each headlight and the horizontal line of each headlight. These should be level with one another.
- Back vehicle up in a straight line until the headlights are at the previously taped 25ft mark.
- Adjust horizontal aim as necessary. Center of headlights should remain at the taped center line. Use the horizontal adjustment screw to adjust for the center line.
- Adjust vertical aim. The horizontal line on the headlights should drop 1-2 inches down from the marked lines when parked 25ft back from the wall. Use the vertical adjustment screw to adjust the height of the headlights as necessary.
That’s all there is too it. Go for a drive and enjoy your properly aimed headlights!
Truck drivers choose XK Glow brand headlight bulbs because they are reliable to light up the road night after night with superior light output and durability. They’re the highest quality LED bulbs on the market and are proven to withstand rough terrain, harsh vibration, and intensive use. Our top selling XK Glow Elite LED Headlight Bulbs provide a customized look with practical function that owner-operators say are the best LED headlight bulbs they have ever used! Shop for the best headlight bulbs for semi trucks at iowa80.com today.